Health Informatics Certificate
This certificate examines electronic medical-health related data that is generated and stored in health care and public health organizations. It is concerned with such issues as electronic information systems and applications; data collection and analysis; program design, implementation and management and the application of the systems to the patient and how clinical components of patients’ care are managed and structured in the electronic health record (EHR).
The HIM certificate broadens the HMC focus into the field of health informatics, and electronic data management while providing flexibility for students’ plan of study. The additional courses align with current healthcare trends, and the needs of a competitive workforce. Through the use of secure health information data, health care benefits from technological advancements that ensure a safer, high quality, coordinated, and affordable delivery model.
Students are equipped with essential skill sets in both health information management and technology that are needed to succeed in today’s technology-focused healthcare environments. Studies focus on how to utilize health care data in a manner that will enhance decision making,
improve outcomes and support the continuity of care across the health care system continuum.
Learning areas focus on:
- Regulatory federal and state health laws and policies which influence the design and security requirements for an Electronic Health Record (EHR).
- Ethical principles related to the development, implementation, and usage of EHRs such as patient autonomy, beneficence/non-maleficence, privacy, confidentiality, and justice.
- Database technologies and programming languages such as SQL and Java.
- Network principles, design methods and system integration tools that exchange data in a secure manner.
- Business continuity, technical security, data mining, maintenance, virtual networks, and disaster recovery.
- System analysis lifecycle; planning, analysis, design, implementation, and evaluation of healthcare software.
- Understanding how health informatics systems are implemented and used by clinicians to improve the quality and safety of patient centered care.
- Learn about Health Information Exchange (HIE), Population Health, disease mapping, analytics, and healthcare trends.
This certificate can be taken as part of the MS Healthcare Management degree/Health Informatics concentration or as a standalone 12 credit certificate in Health informatics.