Education Specialist, Elementary Education
The Educational Specialist (Ed.S) degree program in an Elementary Education concentration will provide students with an intensive study of content and pedagogy for improved classroom practice. The program is intended to deepen the content/subject matter knowledge base for teachers at the elementary level. Didactic and pedagogical applications enable students to consider new practices that result in improved classroom performance.
The Ed.S: Elementary Education Non-Licensure and Ed.S: Professional Elementary Education Licensure concentration requires completion of 39 credit hours. The Ed.S: Initial Elementary Education concentration requires 39 credit hours if the student elects to take the 9-credit semester-long practicum (fall only) or 42 credit hours if the student elects to take the 12-credit year-long internship.
Additional Program Information
Title II of the Higher Education Act
Title II (Section 207 of the Higher Education Act) requires that institutions with teacher preparation programs that enroll students receiving federal financial assistance prepare annual reports on teacher preparation and licensing. The full report is distributed with admissions materials and is also available upon request.
Bay Path Pass Rates on the Massachusetts Tests of Educator Licensure (MTEL), 2020-2021
Pass rates are based on the 2020-2021 cohort of students who completed their licensure requirements during that year. These students are designated as program completers:
- Number of Program Completers = 48
- Pass Rate on the MTEL = 100%
Students must select one of the following concentrations:
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program are expected to demonstrate achievement in all areas of the program, specifically:
- Students will meet Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Professional Standards for Teachers (1) Curriculum, Planning, and Assessment standard.
- Students will meet Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Professional Standards for Teachers (2) Teaching All Students standard.
- Students will meet Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Professional Standards for Teachers (3) Family and Community Engagement standard.
- Students will meet Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Professional Standards for Teachers (4) Professional Culture.
- Students will demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills through in-class assignments and presentations, to be applied in the teaching-learning process.