Liberal Studies, B.A.
The goal of the Liberal Studies Department is to prepare versatile critical thinkers, articulate communicators, and effective problem-solvers, ready to enter a variety of career paths or proceed to graduate level study upon completion of their undergraduate studies.
The Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies degree program offers the following majors:
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies program, graduates will be able to:
- Have the ability to engage and learn from perspectives and experiences different from their own, and to understand how their place in the world both informs and limits their knowledge. Students will have the capacity to understand the interrelationships between multiple perspectives, such as personal, social, cultural, disciplinary, environmental, local, and global.
- Have the ability to integrate learning – across courses, over time, and between campus and community life. Students will be effective integrative learners, able to make simple connections among ideas and experiences as well as synthesize and transfer learning to new, complex situations within and beyond the campus.
- Develop critical thinking skills characterized by their comprehensive exploration of issues, ideas, artifacts, and events before accepting or formulating an opinion or conclusion. Students will recognize that success in all disciplines requires habits of inquiry and analysis that share common attributes.
- Become dialectical thinkers, demonstrating solid knowledge of disciplinary parameters and will be able to push beyond those boundaries in new, unique, or atypical recombinations by uncovering or critically perceiving new syntheses and using or recognizing creative risk-taking in order to envision a response.
- Develop well-rounded thinking skills that give them the ability to know when there is a need for information, as well as to identify, locate, evaluate, and effectively and responsibly use and share that information for the problem at hand.
Possible Career Options for B.A. Liberal Studies Graduates
- Case Worker
- Community Worker/Outreach Counselor
- Marketing Representative
- Program Facilitator
- Public Relations Specialist
- Civil Employee
- Activity Director
- Event Organizer
- Fundraising/Grant Writing Entry Level
- Non-Profit Entry Level Management
- Graduate Study